September 4, 2017

Remembering RockFest


What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Well in that case, it’s good that I didn’t spend my stag weekend in Vegas! No, I didn’t bring Syphllis home, not Mono, or not even a hangover. But rather, I did bring home some epic memories from my trip to Quebec late last month with 2 of the best friends a guy could ask for! And thanks to the onset of Instagram, a lot of public record has been transferred from the media form of text to photos and video!

So yes, my 700 uploads to Instagram in 3 in a half years led to my strategic utilization of hashtags, including #ripefrrockfest, #roadtorockfest, #ryansgettingmarriedEH, #amnesiarockfest, #rockfest2017, and most generically: #rockfest. Outside of the festival, we were able to utilize #jetaimemontreal,  #cityofchampions, #banginsummer #frshurz. Fuck. 

#timewellwasted.

In 2014, I posted a detailed blog about my experience at this festival. That was the 10th year and it was at least as good of a line-up. Then, bucketlist bands included my seeing The Implants & Alice In Chains, + The Gaslight Anthem and you know: dozens of others.  A year later, I flew to Las Vegas and took in Punk Rock Bowling 2015. (0 Total Blog Posts in 2015). But man, seeing 88 Fingers Louie play a pool party + club show, and watch Sick Of It All, PEARS, Turbonegro for the 1st time at the festival was a super-good time. It was my 2nd time seeing REFUSED, too, which not a lot of 33 year-olds from Edmonton can say. But more than that it was cool to hang with buds Justin & Christopher -- we had a blast hanging for those 4 days! #automaticfriendsforlife.

But now I am getting married. < insert IMPENDING DOOM MUSIC HERE (JK LOVE!) > I don't know how many LESS concerts I can expect going to in the NEXT 15 years but I hope that for festivals, I can get the chance to go to some with the wife. Riot Fest Chicago, for example, is one that I wouldn't mind getting to as a married man! 

But I am sure thankful for Matt and Chantel to be able to spend the time (and money) to go on 1 hella whirlwind trip c/w camping and Wal-Mart and poutine and beer beer beer.
 



$6.25 for a budweiser in the festival grounds isn't even too too terrible! And we avoided the other corporate booze sponsor: Jagermeister, like the plague.  

Day 1 was ... exhausting. Stupid-early flights + 200+ THOUSAND people showing up to the quaint town of Montebello takes its toll. After driving through a farmer's field, we were able to walk with our bags through a 2nd farmer's field to some pre-made tents c/w sleeping bags. That DEFINITELY earned us some 9 o'clock beers. The Planet Smashers were playing with other "pre-fest" bands and we were ready for rest. Then? The rain. By midnight, a lot of things were wet! By the morning: a drizzly mudfest was about to take form. 



We got through the gates right about 1PM where L.A. hardcore band TERROR was just taking the stage! "Pick It Up!" " One heavy, funny way to start the day. It was even better when the rain quit! M & C bailed on the Tony Sly stage to go check out Soulfly and I waited around cuz Masked Intruder was going to be starting quick! My pals were also able to check out some of All That Remains before coming over to watch MUTE at the Francophone "Headrush" stage. They were awesome in 2014, but seeing these guys rip through a set to their adoring fans for a 3rd time was pretty damn special.  So funny how they talk (a lot) between songs in French then (both) vocalists sing all songs in English. 




A few minutes after they stopped, my First Favourite Band - Pennywise - started. 

 

I watched 4 or 5 stands from 50 feet out before bailing to the bleachers where M & C were taking it all in with slightly drier, more comfortable surroundings. Pennywise played tributes (like they do) and sounded as good as ever: certainly better than NOFX sounded for "the early show" in RockFest 2014. 


 


Matt went and caught some of Norma Jean while Chantel and I watched Thursday before heading over there too for food, the end of Goldfinger, and REEL BIG FISH, and a little bit of Basement. 

Wu-Tang Clan was starting. I "saw" them but didn't "watch" them. We got in a good spot for Killswitch Engage, who featured REEL BIG FISH's trombone player on one of their songs. KsE sounded so awesome live. I came home and listened to their newest album Incarnate a whole bunch. We loved there Hawaiian shirts and plastic flamingos on stage. With a turn of the head, we were able to remain in our bleachers and watch AFI play the main stage. Some might disagree, but I think they played some of their best songs!  I only ever saw them play 14 years ago, so this was a treat f'rshur. I think we left the festival and came back to watch half of Parkway Drive (M&C saw some of Less Than Jake I think -- I did not :( ). It was more important to me to rest up and get in a good spot for that old man, Dr. Greg Graffin, do his thing for that iconic band BAD RELIGION. This was definitely a highlight of the festival. HE'S SO OLD! And they sound so goooooood.  As a 33 year old, Crowd-Surfing wasn't in the cards, and mosh-pitting was kept to a minimum -- gotta keep the teeth for the wedding, after all. In addition, I was happy to chill with friends and watch Bullet for My Valentine back on the Jagermeister stage, rather than stretching myself to go watch Jello Biafra & Lucero back at Tony Sly.   I saw Jello play at PRB so that's AOK!
  

Just as the sun began to set, Dexter Holland and Friends. Same deal: I feel #blessed to be able to see the Offspring. They were more-or-less the 1st "big" concert I ever went to back in 2001 and I enjoyed my time with Chantel and Kay at Edmonton's worst venue: SHAW - last spring. The night was unwinding. I mean gearing up. Offspring played Ixnay on the Hombre + 4 or 5 of their beloved singles, finishing with Self Esteem.
 

Just as they were ending, we were in good shape to watch the start of another highlight: IGNITE! Their set went by super-fast, probably cuz I was enjoying it so much. Once again: 3rd time seeing Ignite, including the time they played with Pennywise and Circle Jerks at Red's and - you guessed it: RockFest 2014. 



We stayed at the Tony Sly stages for Down By Law (who JFK flew in to Edmonton a handful of years ago) -- great to see them again --- and "finally": FACE TO FACE to finish off the night. Matt sang lots. But even if I could have interrupted his singing, I wouldn't have bailed Face To Face to watch the night's mainstage headliner: RAMMSTEIN. We definitely were able to watch the end of Rammstein though, from a ways back. There was indeed fire, and then the singer ascended with angel wings, caught fire, and... descended. Impressive though. And they sounded good, especially if you are into that sort of thing!


 

The grounds and town and campsite were muddy as fuck everywhere. No getting around it. Somehow, between food and drink and loads of bands, we were able to get back to our bunks and get at least a little sleep! Charged some devices, found a stinky outhouse: festival life.
 



DAY 2. Drier. Matt's burnt. Somehow. Even with the Mostly Cloudy Day 1.  But honestly, he wasn't terribly burnt. I'd say "just annoyingly burnt". And there were peanut butter and jam sandwiches and chips and swiss rolls and energy drinks so we were OK! Anti-Flag was starting early. We got there earlier. Early enough to watch some of Quebec's Gutter Demons even! Stand Up basses are neat. Anti-Flag did their thang. fuck police brutality and all that. It's hard to remember how much I LOVED them in Warped Tour 2002 or 2003. Their club show @ Starlight Room last year was way more extensive but we all got the jist of it and enjoyed what they did. But we were gearing up for bigger and better things: Off to Tony Sly stage for The Dreadnoughts. They have a fiddle and play "POUTINE".


But as per usual: A WILHELM SCREAM was going setting up to RIP another insane set. So happy they are a band! 

The world would be a lesser place without them in it. Immediately after, Teenage Bottlerocket played a set with drummer Brandon Carlisle's replacement from Edmonton band The Old wives.


 

We skipped ska band The Specials to eat and catch some Boston hardcore band Death Before Dishonor. That was a pretty intense performance where one dude took a header and landed a foot in front of my feet.  There was a WAY bigger party for the following set by this little band called PUP.  I saw them at Denizen Hall just after Ryan Young was featuring this new young Toronto band on his podcast. THEY SOUND SO GOOD! They're gonna be as big as Rise Against in a couple years. A neat part of PUP's set was right before they got going, a nice young gentleman asked his girlfriend to marry him on stage and she said OUI!




Our friend Steve Rawles' followed with his Canadian band Belvedere right after. We saw them at The Needle Vinyl Tavern a month ago so it was a very abbreviated set in comparison!  Australian band Frenzal Rhomb showed up in Montebello for a 35-40 minute set, and we were able to watch some of it before needing to bail and chill and beer before the evening's shows! A quick break, then back to Tony Sly stage for France's Adhesive and that other huge highlight: GOOD RIDDANCE. After the good riddance show, I managed to score a drum stick from Sean Sellers and photos with both Chuck and with Russ. They were great to do that for their fans! Thanks, guys!! 


   


Agent Orange was playing while I was getting these pics and after that we were back to the bleachers! 

 311 was playing but I think Matt missed Converge. And I missed The Unseen cuz ALEXISONFIRE was playing as the sun began to set! Great sound, great set: I knew no songs. Well, maybe 5. Great light show and performance. Again, I thought my AOF-seeing days were long gone. Chantel bought a shirt. It has a unicorn on it and says DIE ALREADY or something on it. Rad.  
  

 I was too tired to go and watch a band I've never seen: Dayglo Abortions at Tony Sly and instead had #beerswithbuds as At The Drive-In got going. Eventually, I said we had to get closer because we could here Grimskunk on the stage at the other end of the park so we left the bleachers and stood behind a Drunk Guy Dancing. No harm, no foul, just almost. At The Drive-In was an impressive live show and they played new and old songs. He throws the mic around a lot and jumps off the kickset lots too. By now, the choices were to sit through Eagles of Death Metal just to go watch Iggy Pop or hang out and wtach Discharge, Sham 69, and Protest the Hero. Neither of these 2 options were too appealing so we decided to head back to camp! 

All in all, the festival was a blast.

The next morning, the trick was to get out of the festival. This was an easy task...
    
I think only 1 wrong turn. Fun times. Their roads have curves in them. Different!! We checked in to L'Auberge J'ardin @ Rue St. Denis and went for Schwarz' Deli. mmmmm. Food. We spent the next few hours walking around the city, including the waterfront and Old Montreal. 


At this time, I was pretty worried about home cuz our cat Milo wasn't doing so good and my fiancé had been spending time at the animal emerg. He eventually got admitted and diagnosed with heart disease, but I am happy to report that 3 weeks later he is doing ok, with the right pills. Really, it was all a good time aside from being stressed for Kay and my kitty but thankfully we have good and smart people in this world who can help us out! We had a great final night in Quebec and hit up Foufounes Electrique on a dead Sunday night and shot some pool. Thank you for being a friend Matt & Chantel. Now come help me get married.



chocolate and marshmallow


montreal grafitti

I think fine art's fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment